Punjab Energy Development Agency was formed in Sept. 1991 as a state nodal agency for promotion and development of Renewable Energy Programmes/ Projects and energy conservation programme in the state of Punjab. PEDA is registered as a Society under the Societies Act of 1860.
Punjab Energy Development Agency under the Department of New and Renewable Energy, Govt. of Punjab is the State Nodal Agency for promotion and development of New and Renewable Energy (NRSE) Projects and Energy Conservation measures. The projects are provided financial & fiscal assistance by PEDA under the NRSE Policy 2012 of the Govt. of Punjab. Also, Punjab State Electricity Regulatory Commission has designated PEDA as the Nodal Agency for the purposes of the REC Regulations and monitoring of Renewable Purchase Obligation (RPO) in the State of Punjab. In addition, PEDA is the State Designated Agency for Energy Efficiency and Conservation under the Energy Conservation Act 2001 by Bureau of Energy Efficiency, Ministry of Power.
INCENTIVES UNDER THE NRSE POLICY 2012:
Punjab facilitates the setting up of RE Projects on Build Own Operate basis under the NRSE Policy-2012. A slew of incentives are provided to the interested developers to invest and setup RE projects and the major incentives includes:-
- 100% Stamp Duty exemption both on land purchase/lease.
- CLU & EDC charges exempted.
- 100% Electricity Duty Exemption on power consumed during construction of NRSE Projects.
- 100% Exemption on Pollution & Environment Clearance on Solar Projects.
- Wheeling of RE power at a uniform charge of 2% of the energy fed to the grid under Intra-State Open Access.
- Panchayats land can be provided on lease for setting-up of NRSE projects.
As on July 2020, total 1664 MW capacity NRSE power projects are installed in the state. The major achievements in the NRSE sector in the State of Punjab are as under:-
GROUND MOUNTED SOLAR:
- 71 Projects of 815.5 MW commissioned
ROOF TOP SOLAR:
- In Rooftop Solar 60.5 MW capacity installed (14 projects).
- India’s largest Rooftop plant of 19.50 MW has been set up at Beas, Amritsar on 8 Roofs, out of which 11.5 MW is Worlds largest on a Single Roof of 42 acres.
ROOF TOP NET METERING:
- 63.8 MW capacity installed on 4900 Homes/ Schools/Institutes/ Industry.
CANAL TOP SOLAR- UNIQUE PROJECT:
- 4 Projects of total 20 MW capacity commissioned.
BIOMASS BASED POWER GENERATION:
- 11 Projects 97.5 MW stands commissioned.
BIOMASS / BAGGASSE CO-GENERATION PROJECTS:
- Total installed co-generation projects : 439.67 MW (56 Projects)
- 70 MW capacity projects are under construction and expected to be commissioned during 2020-21.
MICRO/ MINI HYDEL PROJECTS:
- Total 169.55 MW mini hydel projects are commissioned in the state and 4.05 MW capacity is under implementation and expected to be commissioned in FY 2019-20 & FY 2020-21.
WASTE TO ENERGY:
- 1.5 MW capacity waste to energy projects are commissioned in the state and another 1.5 MW capacity project is under construction and expected to be commissioned in FY 2020-21.
- SOLAR STREET LIGHTS PROGRAMME:
- PEDA has installed 87578 Solar Street lights.
- SOLAR WATER PUMPING SYSTEM:
- 4925 numbers of solar water pumps installed.
- SOLAR WATER HEATING SYSTEM:
- PEDA has installed 3304000 LPD capacity Solar Water Heating Systems.
- FAMILY SIZE BIOGAS PLANTS:
177000 biogas plants installed in the state.
ENERGY CONSERVATION PROGRAM:
The Government of India has enacted the Energy Conservation Act, 2001, became effective from 1stMarch, 2002. The Act provides institutionalizing and strengthening delivery mechanism for energy efficiency programs in the country and provides a framework for the much-needed coordination between various government entities. Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) was formed under the Ministry of Power to develop policy and strategies with a thrust on self-regulation and market principles under Energy Conservation Act (EC Act), 2001. Among the key stakeholders are the State Designated Agencies (SDAs) established by State Governments in consultation with BEE with the responsibility to implement the Act within the state.
Punjab Energy Development Agency (PEDA) has been declared as the State Designated Agency (SDA) to coordinate, regulate and enforce the Energy Conservation
Act-2001 within the state of Punjab in 2005. The role of PEDA as SDA is to create general awareness among masses about the importance and benefits of energy conservation measures and also to institutionalize the energy efficiency project implementation in the industry, govt. building & commercial buildings.
With the initiative of PEDA, following notifications have been issued by State Govt. to bring energy efficiency in the various sector of the economy.
- Mandatory use of solar water heating systems in buildings / building complexes having area of 500 sq. yds. or greater.
- Mandatory use of minimum BEE 4 star labeled and ISI marked motor pump sets, Power capacitors, Foot/Reflex valves in Agriculture Sector.
- Mandatory use of minimum BEE 2 Star labeled and ISI marked distribution transformers as per BEE revised Star labeling scheme.
- Mandatory use of Punjab Energy Conservation Building Code (Punjab ECBC) in the buildings / building complexes having connected load of 100 kW or greater or contract demand 120 kVA or greater or conditioned area of 500 sqm or greater.
- The Punjab Municipal Green Building Incentive Policy 2016 for mandatory use of Punjab ECBC and provided incentive of 15% rebate in property tax applicable to Punjab ECBC compliant buildings.
- ECBC compliance has been incorporated in amended building bye-laws through notification by the Deptt. of Housing & Urban Development and Local Govt.
Demo Projects of Energy Efficiency
- Replacement of 126 existing Street lights of Municipal Corporation, S.A.S. Nagar (Mohali) with Energy Efficient 90W LED lights from PCL chowk to Chandigarh boundary Phase-2, having annual energy saving 0.053 MUs.
- Replacement of existing 264 lights with LED street / area lights at Grain Market, SirhindMandi achieved annual energy saving of 40%.
- Distributed 14900 LED lamps of 7W / 9W / 10W in different 23 identified villages under LED Village Campaign scheme and achieved annual energy saving of 2.1 MUs.
- Energy Efficiency project of revamping drinking water supply system of 13 water pumps of Mohali Town replaced with energy efficient pump-sets and achieved 15% annual energy saving.
- Implementation of energy efficiency activities in the Institute for Autoparts and Hand tools Technology Ludhiana under demonstration project.
- Replacement of existing electrical appliances with energy efficient appliances at Punjab Police Housing Corporation, SAS Nagar, (Mohali)
- Implementation of Demonstration Projects of revamping Rural Drinking Water Pumping systems at 4 locations at Sri Anandpur Sahib, Distt. Ropar in association with Deptt. of Water Supply & Sanitation under AgDSM scheme.
- Replacement of 19 existing old inefficient pump-sets with energy efficient pump-sets of Rural Drinking water pumping system at Rajpura Division, Distt. Patiala in through Deptt. of Water Supply & Sanitation.
Energy Efficiency Activities
- Investment Grade Energy Audit (IGEA) of 38 Govt. / Public buildings and Govt. Hospitals for implementation of energy efficiency projects having energy saving potential of 15-20%.
- Development of curriculum on Energy Conservation and energy efficiency for its incorporation in the ITI and Diploma Engineering Colleges.
- Organized Debates competitions on Energy Efficiency & Conservation in ITI, Diploma Engineering College & Engineering Colleges.
- 260 Energy Clubs were established in schools to impart knowledge of energy conservation to the school children.
- ECBC cell and ENS Cell have been established at PEDA office, Chandigarh to facilitate implementation of ECBC commercial and residential in the state. Stakeholder meetings and training programs were conducted.
- Monitoring & Verification of 38 Designated Consumers of Perform, Achieve & Trade (PAT)Scheme of BEE.
- Energy Conservation week celebrated from 16th-20 December, 2019 by organizing school quiz / drams at schools and workshops in Engineering Institutions.
- Energy Conservation Day is being celebrated in the month of December every year.
- 5 awareness training programs through KVKs under the scheme of Agriculture Demand Side Management (AgDSM).
- Organized 8 trainings 2 in each state Punjab, Himachal, Uttarakhand and J&K through Agriculture Technology Application Research Institute, Zone-I, PAU Ludhiana.
- Training organized in 4 Municipal Corporations of District Amritsar, Patiala and Ludhiana under Capacity building of ULBs officials under Municipal Demand Side Management
- MoUs were signed with 12 Engineering Institutions / Technical Universities for undertaking Research & Demonstration activities in Energy Efficiency under “State Energy Efficiency Research & Outreach Program”
- Workshops / Seminars were organized on energy conservation & energy efficiency for the general public, Govt. officials, Engineers, Architects, Experts, Builders, Industrialist and Certified Energy Managers / Auditors.
- Van Activation and Promotion Campaign for Space Cooling through Optimum Temperature Setting of ACs to 24ºC.
- Radio Jingles on the theme of Electric Vehicles and energy conservation have been relayed on various radio channels across Chandigarh and Punjab.